Friday, October 16, 2009

How to eat Pizza... and not pig-out?

I picked up four helpful hints on Thursday about eating Pizza and thought I'd share with you.

This first tip came from my pint-sized 17 year old daughter (she's 5' 2" and 125 pounds) -- Mom, she said, eat an apple about 15 minutes before you go out for pizza. It'll fill you with fibre and you won't be so hungry.

You know... that's really NOT a bad idea. Besides, I like apples. :)

Second tip (read on-line, but can't recall where):
Get two slices of pizza on your plate and make a salad to go along (easy on the croutons, cheese, and dressing! No bacon bits!). For each bite of Pizza, take TWO bites of salad!
Eat slowly. Revel in the feel of the food in your mouth. Savour each and every bite.

You'll fill up faster... feel full sooner... and you'll have had fibre, fruit, veggies, protein, fats, and carbs...!

This makes sense to me. The problem with pigging out is we flat out IGNORE our inner voice (and out stomachs!) when it tells us it's time to stop.
It's easier to stop when you've started in the middle of the process.
Did that make sense?

Three: Use a couple of napkins to dab away excess oil on the pizza. It won't change the taste, but it will make for less calories and fat!

Four: Don't eat the pizza bones! Skip the doughy crust on the outside of the pizza and save a few dozen calories.

EDITED TO ADD: Eat your pizza with a knife and fork! Easier to control your bite sizes. And you have to put the fork down occassionally, so it takes you a bit longer to eat!

I don't know when we're going out for pizza again, but I will make sure that I have a nice, juicy Granny Smith before we go... and I'm going to try the salad trick, too. A bit of Pepperoni pizza, followed by two bites of salad... yes, I think this could work!

I already dab the pizza to get rid of the oil and never eat the crusts. That's been a big help already, I think.

If you try it, please let me know how it worked (or didn't work) for you, please!

3 comments:

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

I like Kashi pizza. Thin crust with yummy mediterranean veggies. We never go out for pizza anymore. If we have it delivered, I'll usually eat something else. Not a big fan of the pizza anymore. :-)

(I do agree with you that all of the stress I've had lately is contributing to my weight gain. Thanks for the kind words.)
Path to Health

Fat[free]Me said...

Yeah, it is doable - I have thin pizza and pick two small triangles and fill up my plate with tons of healthy salad. It works and I enjoy every bite. If any pizza is left over, I get my friends to take it home with them because if I take it home I will hear it calling my name from the fridge until it is eaten,lol.

I like the apple idea too - will try that one!

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

It can definitely be done, and if you love pizza like I do you will find a way. I make my own crust and then on my pieces I put very little cheese and lots of veggies!

I like the apple idea. Kids are so smart!