Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Milk Unleashed!



I'm a milk drinker -- my father's father was a Dairyman and I grew up drinking unadulterated cow's milk!  Warm and sweet and fresh from the cow or ice cold -- I drink it.

Nothing is really better than a glass of milk. Unless you're in a car... on a bike... in a stroller... in class... or on a long road trip   Then, it gets tricky!

So what's the answer?  Shelf safe milk!  Think it doesn't exist? Think again! It does and it's brilliant!

I've been reading about Shelf Safe Milk and I've learned so much.  Shelf Safe Milk is really no different than "regular" milk. It's simply heated to 138 Degrees Fahrenheit (UHT: Ultra High Temperature) for 3 seconds (as opposed to 74 degrees Fahrenheit for 10-20 seconds) and it's packaged in shelf-safe packaging. Ultra pasteurization and special Tetra Pak eco-friendly cartons keep the milk safe for use anytime and anywhere.

The cartons come in both small, for a younger child's small hands, and large for baking, cooking, and family use.  Just think, keeping milk on a pantry shelf.  How convenient to have several cartons of milk at the ready.  I'm all for that as I can't tell you the number of times I've run out of milk at a critical time of day.

Milk Unleashed is a new campaign to educate moms about shelf safe milk, the importance of dairy and easy ways to incorporate more milk into their families’ diets. The Milk Unleashed website is packed with information for moms on the go, nutritional facts about milk, plus promotions, contests and information about the various brands of shelf safe milk and where to buy.

I've learned so much by visiting the Milk Unleashed website.   Did you know that this isn't a "new" technology. No! It's been around since the 1960s!   Why are we just now discovering this fantastic way to keep milk in our pantry?

Personally, I can't taste any difference at all. To me, it's simply milk in a much more convenient package! On long trips, shelf safe milk is a life-saver. Did you know that you can freeze it?  That's right!  Just pop a frozen carton in your child's lunchbox... and by lunchtime, it's thawed, ready, and ice cold!

And let's face it, nothing seems to calm a cranky, irritable child (or parent) like milk and a cookie. Then, it's nap time!

When Lizz was in ballet, it was pick her up from school, then drive 22 miles to class. We started doing that when she was just 5! If not for those little cartons milk, I don't know how we would have survived.

But it isn't just for kids. Oh, no! Believe me when I tell you, Mike and I have drank many a carton of shelf safe milk. From long car trips, to hikes, to hours spent waiting for Lizz to come from ballet rehearsals and performances.

Milk is my secret weapon for keeping us all healthy. Its nutritious, loaded with vitamins and calcium, and it tastes good. One carton of shelf safe milk has eight grams of protein and nine essential nutrients – calcium, A, D and B12, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, riboflavin, niacin and zinc. I win!

I also love the fact that I can buy shelf safe milk in bulk. A carton or jug of milk can go bad -- even in the fridge! Not so the shelf safe variety. I use it for baking. I know it's good and don't have to fret over the expiration date!

 

 Shelf safe Milk is widely available. You can find a location close to you here. Come join Milk Unleashed on Facebook and @milkunleashed on Twitter



 DISCLOSURE: This blog post is part of a paid SocialMoms and Milk Unleashed blogging program. The opinions and ideas expressed here are my own. To read more posts on this topic, click here.

No comments: